As of AGM 11th June 2009
Preamble. It is the aim and policy of the organising Committee to maintain a friendly Club under Kennel Club Rules, with regular training classes where owners of all breeds can receive help and instruction to train their dogs in general obedience.
1. The Committee
The Committee shall consist of 9 elected members and the President, all with voting rights, plus Senior Trainers, as nominated by the Committee, in an ex officio capacity. One third of the elected members shall retire each year but shall be eligible for re-election. The names of all candidates for election must be forwarded in writing to reach the Secretary at least 14 days before the A.G.M. Each candidate must be proposed and seconded by members of the Club in writing. No members shall be allowed to vote or enjoy privileges of membership until their current subscriptions have been paid. The Committee shall annually elect Officers from its members. The quorum for a meeting shall be 5 members. Any member of the Committee failing to attend 3 meetings without reasonable explanation shall cease to be a member. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt members to fill vacancies – such members to hold office until the next A.G.M. The Committee shall also have the power to refuse membership to or terminate membership of any person acting in such a way as to be injurious to the character or interests of the Club. In the event of the Club closing down the assets of the Club will be disposed of at the discretion of the Committee.
The President shall be nominated by the Committee and ratified at the A.G.M. The term of office shall be 4 years.
The Chairman shall when present take the Chair at all meetings and, in addition to his/her vote as a member, have an additional casting vote when necessary.
The Treasurer shall receive all monies due to the Club, and pay the debts of the Club and shall when required to do so render an account of monies received and expended by him/her on behalf of the Club.
The Secretary shall in the execution of his/her duties act under the direction of the Committee. He/she shall summon and attend meetings, take minutes of the proceedings, keep a register of Members’ names and addresses and shall keep all documents and correspondence of the Club in such a manner as the Committee shall from time to time decide, also the list to be made available for inspection if so requested by the Members of the Club or by the Kennel Club.
6. Maintenance of Title
The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year Maintenance of Title fee will be forwarded to the Kennel Club by the Secretary for the continuance of the registration and that by 31st July in each year other returns, as stipulated by the Kennel Club Regulations for the registration and maintenance of Title of Societies and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities, will be forwarded to the Kennel Club. The Officers also acknowledge their duty to inform the Kennel Club of any change of Secretary of the Club which may occur during the course of the year.
7. Senior Trainers
Senior Trainers shall be appointed by the Committee and shall have the power to appoint assistant trainers with the approval of the Committee. The trainer in charge of any particular class shall have the necessary authority to maintain discipline and order.
8. Equipment Officer
The Equipment Officer shall be responsible for maintaining a supply of necessary equipment and be responsible for monies received and expended.
9. Annual Subscription
The annual subscription is due April 1st, and shall be set by the Committee and ratified at the A.G.M. Members failing to renew their subscription by May 31st will be considered to have resigned from the Club with exceptions at the Committee’s discretion. Members joining in January, February or March will not be asked to renew their subscription until April of the following year. The class attendance fees shall be determined by the Committee. The current rates are noted in Appendix 1. A charge to cover the expenses for the Club Newsletter can be made at the Committee’s discretion.
10. Members are responsible for the behaviour of their dogs, and the Club shall not be held responsible at any time for damage caused by members or members’ dogs, or for any article left at the training venue. Members shall take every precaution to keep the training venue clean. The Committee shall provide the necessary equipment but any accident shall be promptly dealt with by the owner of the dog concerned.
11. The owner of any dog suffering from, showing any symptoms of or in contact with any infectious disease shall immediately notify the Senior Trainer or Secretary whose names, addresses and telephone numbers are noted in Appendix 2.
12. Bitches in season must NOT be brought to training classes.
13. Check chains, electric collars and pinch collars may not be used at training classes and club events.
14. The Club requires that all dogs brought to the Club should be inoculated against Hard Pad, Distemper and Parvovirus. Members intending to work dogs shall be required to produce their dog’s Vaccination Record when paying their initial subscription and on each occasion when they renew their subscription. Handlers are strongly recommended to wear suitable clothes.
15. A list of Club officials shall be on view at all classes and any member with a complaint may approach any of these officials and subsequently lay such a complaint before the Committee.
16. Any member who is suspended under Kennel Club rule A42j(4) and/or disqualified under Kennel Club rule A42j(8) shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the Club for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification.
If the conduct of any member is, in the opinion of the Committee of the Club, injurious or likely to be injurious to the character or interests of the Club, the Committee of the Club may, at a meeting the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the Member, determine that a Special General Meeting of the Club shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her.
Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused Member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising the place, date and hour of the Meeting that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at the Meeting a resolution is passed by two-thirds majority of the members present and voting, his/her name shall forthwith be erased from the list of Members, and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a member of the Club except that he/she may, within two calendar months from the date of such Meeting, appeal to the Kennel Club upon and subject to such condition as the Kennel Club may impose.
17. Life Membership is an honour bestowed by the Club only to someone nominated by the Committee and ratified at the A.G.M.
18. The Society (Malvern and District Dog Training Club) shall not join any Federation of Societies or Clubs.
19. The Rules of the Club may not be altered except at an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting. Notification of any such proposal shall reach the Secretary 14 days before an A.G.M. for inclusion in the Agenda. Any member wishing to call a Special General Meeting must give notice in writing to the Secretary who shall then call a meeting. The request shall give reasons for the Special General Meeting and be supported by the signatures of 10 other members. 25 members to constitute a quorum at a Special General Meeting.
20. Acceptance of membership shall constitute acceptance of the Rules and Regulations Now or Hereafter in force.
Annual Membership fees Family* £5.00
Course fees Prices available on request
* “Family” is deemed to include all those people living in the same household.
Senior Trainer: Mrs. Rachel Birch, 16 Willow Grove, Malvern, WR14 2SE; 07910 350473
Secretary: Mrs. Kim Goodenough, 5 Wordsworth Green, Malvern, WR14 2UG; 01684 568798
Treasurer: Mrs. Barbara Shapcott, 26 East Comer, St. John’s, Worcester, WR2 6BE; 01905 427023
Code of Practice for Dog Training
1. This Code of Practice applies to all Kennel Club registered Clubs which organise dog training classes and copies of this Code and the Canine Code should be given to all club members.
2. It is the responsibility of the Club to ensure that the welfare of the dog is paramount. No activity shall be conducted which permits, encourages or develops aggression in a dog.
3. Clubs should ensure that their instructors are conversant with acknowledged methods of dog training and understand the rudiments of dog behaviour – preference should be given to motivational methods of training which take into account the breed and nature of each individual dog.
4. Instructors must be alert to differing levels of the experience of both owners and their dogs and should be courteous at all times.
5. Any member who witnesses harsh handling at any event organised by the Club must report the matter to the Club Committee. Where substantiated the Committee must report the matter to the Kennel Club under Rule 42.
6. At the start of each training course the importance of good behaviour, the socialisation of dogs and the theory of training should be discussed. Advice must be given on choosing suitable collars, leads, identity discs and training equipment.
7. Owners must be reminded to carry some form of “poop scoop” and to remove fouling caused by their dog.
8. Following the introductory period members should also be encouraged to train for the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme.
9. When members wish to progress to competition work, instruction should be given on the more advanced training before practical work is started. Instruction must also cover basic knowledge of Kennel Club Regulations.
10. At every opportunity clubs should promote the wider aspects of responsible dog ownership.
The Kennel Club. 2/94